MARILYN MONROE PHOTOGRAPHER BERT STERN

« Older   Newer »

1. sorriso@

User deleted

article-0-0B367EC400000578-402_634x606
    'I wouldn't have taken nudes of Marilyn if she didn't want to': Photographer Bert Stern opens up about Monroe's 'last sitting'

By Daily Mail Reporter

Photographer Bert Stern has opened up about the three-day session he spent with Marilyn Monroe for her Last Sitting, just six weeks before she died.

In a clip from the upcoming documentary, Bert Stern: Original Madman, about the 83-year-old by Shannah Laumeister, Mr Stern recalls the 1962 shoot for Vogue magazine inside the Bel Air Hotel.

In the clip, posted on Nowness, he said: 'I would never have taken any nudes of Marilyn if she didn't want to do it. I wasn't out to do nudes, I was out to do pictures. But I didn't know about clothes, I didn't see her in clothes. I saw her with jewellery, or something to cover her a little bit.

Screen legend: Photographer Bert Stern has opened up about the three-day session he spent with Marilyn Monroe for her Last Sitting, just six weeks before she died

'But it ended up to be more nude than I meant,' he added.

After laying out sheer scarves and jewelry on the bed of their hotel suite, Mr Stern recalled how 'she went over and she said, "Well what do you want to do?" and I said, "Well I dunno, what do you want to do?"

She picked up this scarf, looked through it, and it was transparent, she could see me. She understood right away, and said: "You want to do nudes. And I said, "Well that's a good idea."

Nervous about a scar on her stomach, she called for her hairdresser, George.

article-2296483-18CFA07D000005DC-908_634x833
    Intimate and alluring: Mr Stern had converted the biggest suite at the Bel Air Hotel into a studio, because he 'wanted something more personal,' and felt she would feel more comfortable in its surroundings

'She said, "George! What do you think of doing nudes with scarves?" And he said, "Divine." And I knew that my life was in his hands at that very moment. That if he said, "Don't you dare," I never would have taken these pictures,' Mr Stern explained.

The photographer had converted the biggest suite at the Bel Air Hotel into a studio, because he 'wanted something more personal,' and felt she would feel more comfortable in its surroundings.

He remembers one particular moment after she had changed, emerged from the bathroom, lifting up one layer of the scarf so you could see through it. 'She said: "Hows this for 36?"'

As she walked over to her make-up chair, Mr Stern turned to her and said: 'I don't think you need make-up.'

article-2296483-18D04843000005DC-864_634x372
    Iconic portraitist: In a clip from the upcoming documentary, Bert Stern: Original Madman, the 83-year-old recalls the 1962 shoot for Vogue magazine inside the Bel Air Hotel

He smiles as he recalls that she said, 'Oh you wanna be creative, huh?'. She agreed, and only a touch of eyeliner was used for the shoot.

'Then we started to take pictures with these scarves and jewelery and I had to figure out the lighting,' Mr Stern explained.

'I also knew that i would never do this again. It was a one time in a lifetime experience, to have Marylin Monroe in a hotel room, even though it was turned into a studio, where I could do anything I wanted.'

Mr Stern first published his book, The Last Sitting, in 1982 which included a large number of the 2,500 images that he had shot, including contact sheets with images Monroe had vetted herself, crossing them out with a red cross.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-...l#ixzz2OAqIyKzt
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Group
    Administrator

Status
    Anonymous
    :04d6ik.gif: :applauso: :applauso:

3. sorriso@

User deleted

John Vassos, a destra, accetta una ricompensa di 5.000 dollari dal fotografo Bert Stern, a New York nel 1981: Vassos aveva ritrovato e restituito all'autore le foto di Marilyn che erano state rubate l'anno prima (Ap/ New York Post)

2 replies since 21/3/2013, 12:45   225 views